Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Testing Paper

Like my previous post on Testing Ink, testing paper is equally important!  Not all papers are created equal - some will bleed and some won't blend.  You don't want to spend time working on a beautiful piece of work only to have it turn ugly!!

So - what makes a good paper for Copic Markers?  You want a paper that won't feather (spreading across the top - it's OK if it bleeds through the back), that won't over saturate too quickly, will blend colours well and the colourless blender will be able to move ink.  If it doesn't pass these tests, then you won't get the results you are looking for!

The first thing to do when testing paper is to draw a circle with your multiliner (if you don't own a multiliner, then stamp an image in ink you know is safe such as Memento).  Also ensure that you have clean scratch paper under your work - it is perfectly normal for colours to bleed through the back!

Next take a blending pair of colours - today I've chosen R22 and R24 - and use the lightest of your blending pair (in my case R22) to colour in the shape by colouring in circles.

Is your colour starting to move outside the line??  If so, this is not a good paper for you!!!  If your colour is staying put, then it's passed the first test!  I'm using X-press It Blending Card and I know the colours will not move on this paper (it doesn't count if you accidentally colour outside the lines LOL!!).

Next take the darker of your two colours - in my case R24 - and flick in the colour from one side.

On a good paper the colours will start to blend without any work, like this one!  To blend your colours, go back with your lightest colour and lightly blend where the two colours meet, but working in circles and flicking out to the paler side.

Did your colours blend??  Awesome - your paper has now passed the second test!!  :)  As you can see my two colours have blended beautifully together!  :)  The third thing you want your paper to do is to have the colours move when you apply your Colourless Blender - by applying the broad chisel nib to the centre of your circle, you colour should move.

If your paper allows the colour to move with the Colourless Blender, then your paper has then passed the third test!!

I have been asked a lot recently if paper type really matters and instead of explaining how you can get hugely different results, I made up these samples (coloured exactly the same) which now live in my sample book......

 This is plain old Tablex 200gsm paper that I found at a stationary store......YUK!!!!

Next is some Canon 250gsm (uncoated - not gloss) that was also found at a stationary store.


Now this one was ok with some colours (although in my opinion they don't blend particularly well), but on the Greens, Blue Greens, Greys and Reds they did bleed outside the lines.

Lastly I used X-press It Blending Card and got perfect results with every single colour, not to mention the colours are better and smoother too!!  :)

What a huge difference paper can make!!!!  :)  Hope you've enjoyed today's tutorial and see you on Tuesday for the winner of the CopicOz Feathering Challenge --- you still have time to play along and win!!!!  :)Pin It

6 comments:

  1. great tutorial Kath! Very clear and well explained! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing tutorial Kathy, it works;-) I always use

    DCP(Digital Color Printing) Clairefontaine 160g, it works perfect!!

    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this Ellen! I purchased a new laser printer which I wanted to print digi stamps onto, then colour with my Copics. Trouble is with warranty, it says I am not supposed to print on anything thicker than 180gms. So this is perfect! Considering this post was made 2 years ago though I do hope it's still available. Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Ellen, it's always great to experiment and find a paper that works for you. I've never heard of that paper and I love the X-press It Blending Card (it's now taking the USA by storm!), it's a heavier weight of 250gsm, really smooth and you don't have to work your colours as much, which means you use less ink!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, do you know where I can but X-press IT paper? Do they sell it in office works or something? I would like somewhere in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete