Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Using Your Tips!


Hello Everyone!  Welcome to another Copic Oz Tutorial!!  It's scorching hot here in the Australian Summer and with Australia Day this week-end, I'm sure everyone's thoughts are turning to keeping cool and for those close enough, escaping to the beach!  Today's tutorial is beach inspired and I'm going to talk about TIPS and I don't mean handy hints.....today it's all about using the tips of your brush nibs!

Usually when you start using your Copic Markers, there is a lot said about using the side of your brush nib to get a nice smooth coverage, which is perfect for a lot of occasions, however there are times when using just the tip will give you just the effect you are looking for!

I'm using this lovely relaxing beach scene (can't you just imagine yourself here!) by Our Daily Bread Designs.  And at first you may see those palms and think how can you colour and the sky too?  The easy thing to do is colour the sky first!  I've used B000

Next take your G24 and practise using just the very tip of your marker!  This also helps you develop a light touch which is very important - a heavy hand will leave big chunky streaks of colour.  You barely need touch the paper to get neat thin lines of colour.......let the marker do the work for you!

Now use this technique to add flicks of colour over the palm trees!

Now lets add some contrast by using G28, not quite as all over as the previous layer, but enough to add interest!

Now to tone it down a bit, I've gone back over with G24.....but NOT blending!  All of this is done only with the TIP of your brush nib!

So I'm happy with the tree tops and perhaps you are thinking that's all your tips have to do.....but no, now let's colour the sand!  Colour your base using E41 (with the side of your brush nib).

Now lets add a little texture by using the TIP of your brush nib using E42 and dotting on colour.  (You could also colour an entire image with this technique, known as pointillism!)

I'm enjoying the texture and decide to add more contrast with E43.  I've also used this colour to enhance the shadows of the trees on the sand.

What about the ocean?  I've base coloured with BG10.

Then, use the TIPS of BG11 to add a few lines of colour in the ocean for waves/ripples and the tip BG72 across the horizon (the ocean always looks darkest at the horizon).

I got to the part and realised I hadn't coloured the trunks of the trees.....and yes, you can use your tips here too!!  I've base coloured with E21 and added a little blending with E23.

As most people who follow my work will know, I love contrast, so take the tip of E27 and run it down the sides of the trees where the shadows would be! (It's easy to find on this stamp as that is where the heavier lines are.)  Remember - have a LIGHT hand, practise on scratch paper if you need to!

Finish off your image!  I've used the tip of E23 to add a little colour to the hammock (couldn't do that with the side of your brush nib!) and also a little E84 for more shading on the sand and a little YG93 for the plants in the dunes.

So next time you're colouring, even though you do use the sides of your brush nib a lot - don't forget all the interesting effects you can create simply by using your TIPS!!

I hope you've enjoyed today's tutorial and whether you are by the beach this Sunday, in the pool, having a BBQ or a little backyard cricket, I hope you all have a wonderful Australia Day!

Happy Colouring!
Kathy  :)

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tutorial. It is a great one. I wish I was at the beach, but it is cold and rainy with a possible chance of snow flurries later tonight in North Carolina, USA; no accumulation of snow expected here though accumulation is expected both east and west of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips on TIPS. I'll be working away the holiday but thinking of the extra money that will come my way when I take a holiday. Hope you have a great Australia Day Weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a wonderful tutorial and thanks for sharing. I really appreciate the picture by the beach - made me feel warm as I am on the East Coast in New York and it is very cold and snowy here! Hope you get to the beach to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to be in that hammock on the beach! This is a gorgeous scene. Thanks for providing the very detailed tutorial and the wonderful tip about using the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy...Hi hun....Awesome colouring!! Thanks sooo much for your tutorials!!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete